Death toll rises to 32 as Elsa threat hangs over renewed search at Surfside condo site

Four more victims were found at the site of the collapsed South Florida condo building, fire officials told family members Tuesday, bringing the death toll to 32.

A ramped-up rescue effort faced new threats from the weather as Tropical Storm Elsa approached the state. On Monday, lightning forced crews to pause the search for victims of the June 24 collapse in Surfside and a garage area in the rubble-filled with water, officials said.

The latest forecasts showed Elsa moving westward, mostly sparing South Florida, but the area near the collapsed building experienced thunderstorms, and another day of unsettled weather was expected.

The delays frustrated rescue crews, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.

READ: Relatives grieve the loss of all 4 family members in Florida condo collapse

"Truly they live to save lives, and they’ve pushed ahead no matter what is thrown in their way," she said at an evening news conference.

Still, crews got a big boost when the unstable remaining portion of the Champlain Towers South building came down Sunday. The demolition — prompted by fears that the structure could fall — allowed rescuers into previously inaccessible places, including bedrooms where people were believed to be sleeping at the time of the disaster, officials said.

Four more victims were discovered, raising the death toll to 28 people. Another 117 people remained unaccounted for.

"The site is busier and more active now than I’ve seen it since we began, now that the damaged building is down," Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said, adding that heavy equipment was now able to move freely around the site.

RELATED: Hurricane watch issued for coastal parts of Bay Area ahead of ‘lopsided’ Elsa

Rescuers hoped to get a clearer picture of voids that may exist in the rubble as they search for anyone still trapped under the fallen wing of the building, but they found very few voids, Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah told family members late Monday.

No one has been rescued alive since the first hours after the collapse, but rescuers were still holding out hope of reuniting loved ones.

"We continue to remain focused on our primary mission, and that is to leave no stone unturned and to find as many people as we can and to help bring either some answers to family and loved ones or to bring some closure to them," City of Miami Fire Rescue Capt. Ignatius Carroll said.