SEBRING (FOX 13) - The man held in connection to a bomb scare in Highlands County Wednesday will stay behind bars, for at least 72 hours. That's how long authorities, both state and federal, have to bring bomb charges against Anthony Cauley, who right now is being held only on a charge of grand theft auto.
Cauley was arrested Wednesday following a chaotic afternoon that had law enforcement authorities streaming into Sebring. It began earlier in the morning when Sebring Police were called to investigate a burglary. As officers investigated, they noticed a man, believed to be Cauley, drop a backpack to the ground along U.S. 27 as he walked toward Denny's.
The backpack appeared to have pipe bomb material and ammunition inside.
The possibility of explosives led to evacuations of nearby businesses and shut down U.S. 27 for hours. It also drew in more law enforcement -- everyone from the Highland's County Sheriff's Office, to Florida Department of Law Enforcement and federal agents from the FBI and ATF. The Manatee County Bomb Squad arrived and began detonating the explosives.
Thursday, at Cauley's bond hearing, the state told the judge there were four "pipe-type bombs' and "there's been more material located in his possession that would allow him to build more bombs." The state said Cauley "presents an extreme danger not only to Highlands County, but to the entire state of Florida. For that particular reason ... we request that bond be set at no bond."
Cauley breifly spoke up, telling the judge, "Your Honor, I never set off any bombs and I never threatened anybody with weapons or any bombs or anything of that nature." The judge told him regardless of whether he threatened anyone, the mere fact that he possessed bomb making material made him a danger. "The court is in fear your release into the community at this time would be a danger to this community," the judge said, as he ordered Cauley held on no bond for 72 hours.