Manatee County and the city of Palmetto have declared a state of emergency ahead of Tropical Storm Erika, allowing them to act quickly in response to the storm.
No evacuation notices are being issued.
"Many of our residents know when we have torrential downpours that there's a strong potential to flood," Emergency Management Chief Don Hermey said. "They need to take extra precaution. With this kind of storm coming, there's a strong flooding potential. They need to have a heightened awareness and prepare."
Sandbags will be offered Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the following locations:
- Public Works Drainage Section at 5511 39th Street East, Bradenton
- Lakewood Ranch Park at 5350 Lakewood Ranch Boulevard
- GT Bray Park at 5502 33rd Ave. Dr. W., Bradenton
- Buffalo Creek Park at 7550 69th Street East, Palmetto
- Rubonia Community Center at 1309 72nd Street East, Palmetto
There is a 10 bag per family limit.