Creating a healthy, nutritious meal for a family that fits your budget can be challenging.
John’s Hopkins All Children’s Hospital registered dietitian, Megan Armstrong says by cooking ahead and stretching your ingredients, you can create a meal for $1.86 per person.
The Taco mixture can be made ahead of time and then incorporated into dishes for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Her ranch dressing is made with Greek Yogurt and a packet of ranch dressing mix.
Armstrong also teaches cooking classes for children. They are free and will begin in October 2018.
1 medium carrot or zucchini
1 can reduced sodium black beans
1 pound ground turkey
12 corn tortillas
1 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 egg (for breakfast)
Toppings for Lunch and Dinner:
Pico de Gallo
Plain Greek yogurt (sour cream substitute)
1. Rinse and grate carrot or zucchini.
2. Rinse and shred lettuce. Rinse, core, and chop tomatoes.
3. Grate cheese.
4. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
5. Coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add turkey and brown.
6. Add grated vegetables, beans, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Stir well.
7. Reduce heat to medium. Cooking until thickened, about 20 minutes.
8. For breakfast, pair 4 TBSP of the turkey mixture with a fried egg
9. For lunch, top lettuce with 4 TBSP of the turkey mixture and add preferred toppings.
10. For dinner, add 2 TBSP of the turkey mixture to each tortilla and add preferred toppings.